Shake it up!

Friday, July 25, 2008

Thing #15

Of the perspective reading that I looked at the one I wish to comment on is, Away from the Icebergs, his thoughts on the "just in case" collection is an area that I have been working on in my library the staff area I didn't even think to look to see what is available for the older stuff online that can be accessed by the teachers or maybe even scan them onto a CD for access that way! I am well aware that I need more education on the newest and latest tech. I think with the implementation of blog sites a library community could help each other address the need and prepare for the needs of our patrons in our community. I will always feel that a library (especially in a school setting) is needed and I'm not talking job security for me I just feel that a library too many is a safe and peaceful retreat to a world that is already hectic, loud and demanding. What is important to the future of libraries is yes provide access to online and new technology tools but to still provide a retreat to breathe and explore without demands or rush.
The direction that a library is going with technology is needed. I feel that it has always been a libraries job to house the newest and greatest forms of information. Our job isn't changing a library it is evolving a library and we as librarians have to evolve with it. The goal of a library has always been to house information so our house is all that is changing not the goals. For me this means just realizing that the library needs to keep up with the demands, I will still promote as always but in new and what looks like a fun direction. I will look more to spending my budget on tech vs information books which the information or subject in them is available online. I need more education on the techno toys and that is where my focus will be so that I can strengthen my library to as always serve my school community.

1 comment:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

The idea that the library can be a safe place for kids is an important one. Having the resources available but even more, having a caring librarian who sees making a patron centered space one of the most important parts of their job is critical. For some kids, the library is THE safe place and a place where someone knows what they like, and cares enough to share with them.

Ann