Shake it up!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thing #11

Play day was alot of fun I played off the short list of Web 2.0 winners I know you said to choose one and go with it and I did, I spent almost 2 hours on the site listed under Real Estate called Zillow.com I loved looking at homes for sale in an area that my husband and I are looking to move to in a few years. I've always liked looking at real estate anyway so this was a natural for me, unfortunately this site probably isn't really good as a lesson for elementary students so not real useful there but the word was play so... What I really liked about the site is that it came with an interactive map with the homes icon displayed in the area it was for sale so you could see if it was close to an airport, water or shopping. The site gave the demographics of the area which I thought to be very important and it provided photos and information but very limited, the site wanted you to register for more information which I did and that was easy, once I registered I was given tabs to choose from such as seller or buyer and it gave helpful hints related to the tabs. There was a discussion page with people asking for help on plumbing to warped floorboards. Good site I liked it and will visit often! I did explore a few other sites that caught my eye, under music I visited Last which allowed you to watch some great music videos that was fun! and I looked under Upcoming in the category of Events for my hometown I was informed that there were no popular events coming!!! What I didn't like about these sites is the time I lose every time I go on one! The computer is a time sucker and I am always amazed at how much time goes by when I am on one. Thanks for the Travel IQ game it was fun but really showed me that I am not as smart in geography as I thought! I did visit some Ning network sites under cooking and book clubs but I chose not to join one it just seemed too overwhelming and then not a lot of members on a site that I thought I would want to join especially as I don't' see myself using what I did see. I wouldn't mind possibly starting one of my own so that it suits what interests me but that will have to wait for another day.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Sounds like the Zillow site is one that will be really useful for you:-) it is always great when our class finds these sites. The time suck is an issue when dealing with these online tools. Joyce Valenza - who was up here for last years library leadership academy - doesn't seem to sleep because that is the only way that I can see that she can keep on top of so many of the Web 2.0 tools. I just have to pick a few and go with them because I DO need to sleep :-)

Ann